Red Hat 9 on a Thinkpad 770? (Re: [ltp] getting RH 9)

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 3 23:59:28 CEST 2003

On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 15:47:37 -0600
Bert Haskins <bhaskins at chartermi.net> wrote:

> Were you able to get the built-in modem to work "well" in your 770X
> under RH8 ?

It works about as well as it did under Red Hat 7.3.  Some caveats:

* The modem doesn't output through the speakers if the sound drivers have
been loaded.  (OK, since I don't need to listen to the modem squawk
anyway).
* The modem drivers need to be reloaded after a suspend/resume cycle.  I
just added a line to the "ifup" PPP script to reload the modem driver on
an attempt to connect - seems to do the job.

I have two 770-series thinkpads.  One's a 770Z, ans the other's a 770X.  I
haven't noticed any difference in modem behavior between the two.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!