[ltp] TP 600e - High Pitch Noise, and other problems

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at centras.lt
Sat Apr 5 13:56:14 CEST 2003

On Fri, Apr 04, 2003 at 04:56:04AM -0800, Brandon Philips wrote:
> While running my Thinkpad 600e on battery power in Linux I have two
> problems...
>
> 	*The Harddrive spins up and down without reason (I am running NoFlushd w/
> 15min)

What filesystem do you use?  AFAIU noflushd does not work well with
ext3/reiserfs.

> In an unrelated question I have 'apt-get install tpctl' and it told me I
> must get the thinkpad-modules-x.y.z package for my kernel for tpctl to
> work... but the package doesn't seem to exist in Sid anywhere, anyone know
> where I can download this package?

You can compile it.  apt-get install thinkpad-source

> Also, I haven't ever experienced this problem before on Linux but the mwaved
> script doesn't start the mwavem daemon at startup.  It does however insert
> the module and setup the port, upon boot I can run the mwaved script as root
> and all is well, this is my first attempt and playing with the Debian boot
> scripts by hand is there a step I missed besides placing the script in the
> /etc/init.d folder and 'ln -s' that script into rc5.d, rc6.d and rcS.d?

Perhaps you need to chmod +x?  And how did you call the symlink?  It
should be called Snnmwaved where nn is a two digit number.

You should only link it into rc6.d if you want it to run before a reboot.
And if you linked it in rcS.d, then you do not need to put it in
rc[1-5], or it will get run twice in those runlevels.  Oh, and unless
you changed it, the default runlevel on Debian is 2, not 5.

So the usual way of adding a startup script is

  cp scriptname /etc/init.d
  chmod 755 /etc/init.d/scriptname
  ln -s ../init.d/scriptname /etc/rc2.d/S99scriptname

Marius Gedminas
--
Get a life?  Well, once I nearly found one, but the link was broken.