[ltp] Mandrake 9.1/Redhat 9.0

Tod Harter tharter at rhombus.net
Tue Apr 8 14:16:00 CEST 2003

I haven't tested the difference between 16 and 24 bpp performance on my
desktop either, and have no other OS installed to compare MDK 9.1 to, but I
can tell you that when I had win2k on the same hardware I never had problems
with XMMS dropouts or screen flicker no matter what display settings I was
using, and the system is a 1.5 ghz P4 with a Radeon 8500 card in it. That
should be plenty of performance with DDR 133 mhz RAM and 4x AGP!!! Dunno what
the MDK/RH differences are, but win2k drivers certainly seem to be higher
quality than the Linux ones, or else the win2k kernel just has a lot better
determinacy in servicing interrupts.

--
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain