[ltp] Controlling dvd-drive speed

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at centras.lt
Thu Apr 10 22:07:04 CEST 2003

On Thu, Apr 10, 2003 at 09:48:35PM +0200, Tino Keitel wrote:
> > Any error messages?  Do you have write permissions on the device?
>
> Running as root, setcd reported that the speed was set to the desired
> value.

It always does that, even if I request 38 Mbytes/s with setcd -x 255 :-)
Only cdrecord -prcap reports the true speed.

> I tried with a CDROM now and it worked with both drives.
>
> What I noticed is that DVD play speed is not affected by setcd.

Perhaps that's a different setting?  I never actually tried setcd with a
DVD disc, my drive is just not too noisy playing them.

> However, the SD-R 2412 is very silent while playing a DVD, whereas the
> SD-C2512 makes a lot of noise, making it very hard to enjoy watching a
> movie. When I tried to read to read a DVD (not playing it) using
>
> dd if=/dev/cdroms/cdrom1 of=/dev/null bs=1024
>
> it runs with full speed, regardless of the setcd -x setting.

BTW the speed setting is reset to the default after you load a different
disc.  Did you try setcd before inserting a DVD, or did you try it after
it was already loaded?

Marius Gedminas
--
Eagleson's Law:
        Any code of your own that you haven't looked at for six or more