[ltp] HD Noise

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at innominate.com
Fri Apr 11 15:53:59 CEST 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 15:52:46 +0200, Volker Franz wrote:
> I had the same problem, and played with the vm/bdflush settings, as
> suggested in a number of newsgroups. In my case
> (Debian/Woody/Thinkpad/600E) it helped, such that the harddisk
> intervals are longer, but only in battery mode, not if the machine is
> connected to a power supply (here, the harddisk simply runs all the
> time and produces noise--noise--noise).
>
> *** Does anybody know, how to change this difference between battery and power mode? ***
>
> Appended find a script which I used for playing with the bdflush
> settings. After finding YOUR VALUES :-), you can add them to
> /etc/sysctl.conf. For example like this:
>
> vm/bdflush = 60 0 0 0 50000 20000 70 0 0
>
> Please let me know, if you found a better solution...

This only works with ext2 since all journaling filesystems bypass the
bdflush stuff and don't care about the settings you make there.

Regards,
Tino

tino.keitel at innominate.com
dipl.-inf.                        Innominate Security Technologies AG
software engineer                                   networking people
tel: +49.30.6392-3308                      http://www.innominate.com/