[ltp] A30 suspend/hibernate

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at centras.lt
Sat Apr 12 11:49:45 CEST 2003

On Fri, Apr 11, 2003 at 06:08:35PM -0400, Bjorn Knutsson wrote:
> On 10 Apr 2003 10:33, Brian Beattie wrote:
> > I'm having trouble with my A30.  When I first installed debian on it, it
> > suspended and restored fine when I closed the lid.  Then I added a
> > hiberdation file and played with the BOIS settings.  Now it does not
> > unsuspend, the display comes back, but nothing else as far as I cane
> > tell.
>
> I had the exact same problem, turned out the machine froze when the
> hwclock program tried to read the hardware clock to set the time.

I have the same problem with my T23.  hwclock works normally before the
first suspend, but tends to freeze the machine after it.  I have
commented out the calls to hwclock in /etc/apm/event.d/00hwclock.  The
system clock is correct after a resume, so commenting out hwclock does
not hurt.

I also added a call to 'sync' before suspending, because ReiserFS kept
corrupting /etc/modules.conf after these hwclock crashes, and that made
the machine basically unbootable.

Another cause of post-resume crashes seems to be xscreensaver with DPMS
enabled.  After a resume I'd see the screen saver animation for a couple
of seconds and then the machine just stops.  Once this happened when I
just left the screen saver active for a long time, that's when I started
to suspect DPMS.  After I disabled DPMS support in xscreensaver options,
the crashes seem to be gone.

Marius Gedminas
--
Unix is an operating system, OS/2 is half an operating system, Windows
is a shell, and DOS is a boot partition virus.