[ltp] Q -- recommendation on digital camera?

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Sat Apr 12 22:26:28 CEST 2003

On Sat, 12 Apr 2003 14:02:45 -0400
Mitchell Gil Maltenfort <mmalten at comcast.net> wrote:

> I'm thinking of buying a digital camera.  I'm using a Thinkpad R32 with
> Debian Linux (default 2.4.20 kernel).  Can anyone on this list advise me
> from experience with regards to which cameras worked well and what
> tweaks, modules, etc. were necessary?  Thanks in advance.

I bought an HP Photosmart 215 camera (refurbished from www.compgeeks.com)
camera.  It's inexpensive, takes decent pictures, and is seen as a USB
mass storage device by any recent Linux distribution.  No tweaks required.
 Heck, gphoto isn't even required.  Plus, it uses compact flash memory
which can be plugged into the pcmcia slot of your Thinkpad using a $10 or
so adapter. This saves camera batteries and is faster than using the USB
interface.

*  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
*  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!