[ltp] A30p sound & suspend

Marius Gedminas mgedmin at centras.lt
Mon Apr 14 22:44:14 CEST 2003

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 10:05:13PM +0200, Matthias Posseldt wrote:
> I'm trying to fix the last problem I have with my A30p (modem, PCMCIA, ... is
> working).
>
> Every time I suspend my laptop (close the lid) and reenable it (works
> wonderfully, I almost never reboot) the sound device gets disabled. Not the
> whole sound card but the PCM and the master channel. I can only reenable them
> if I change *both* channels, e.g. with disable+enable channel (amix) or
> lowering and increasing volume with alsamixer.

I've the same problem with my T23.  I think it's a bug in ALSA.

> I tried apmd's resume scripts but that's didn't help. Any ideas?

I use this as a workaround:

  #!/bin/sh
  # /etc/apm/event.d/aumix -- work around ALSA mixer settings lossage
  if [ "$1" = resume ]; then
    aumix -f /etc/aumixrc -v0 -w0 -L > /dev/null
  fi

Make sure you have an /etc/aumixrc.  I think you can create it with
aumix -f /etc/aumixrc -S.  Perhaps it would be a good idea to do that
just before a resume.

> My system is Gentoo Linux 1.4, with ALSA 0.9.0rc6.
>
> Ciao, Matthias
>
> P.S. Since I installed ALSA 0.9.0_rc5 or higher I noticed a longer delay
> before the A30p suspends (after closing the lid). Before, it was 3-4 beeps,
> now 7 beeps. Any solution. Can anyone second this?

There's a sleep 1 or two burried somewhere in ALSA apm scripts.  I'm not
sure how portable is that, but in Debian you can avoid that by setting
force_stop_modules_before_suspend=stop-procs in /etc/alsa/alsa-base.conf.
And adding missing backquotes in the monstrous kill -STOP/-CONT lines in
/etc/apm/event.d/alsa, *sigh*

Marius Gedminas
--
(define the-question (or (* 2 b) (not (* 2 b))))