[ltp] Re: mounting CF card

Charles E Taylor IV tomalek at mindspring.com
Tue Apr 15 16:32:21 CEST 2003

On Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:44:21 -0500
Will McDonald <will at upl.cs.wisc.edu> wrote:

> Since we're solving everyone's problems, I'll throw out mine: has anyone
> been able to mount a CF card using a CF->PCMCIA adapter? All the
> examples I've seen show it getting mounted as hdc, which is my DVD drive
> (on my A21m). I haven't looked at it in a while, so I don't know exactly
> what I've tried, but it'd be nice to find out that someone else does it.

On my Thinkpad 380XD, I indeed have to "mount /dev/hdc1 /mnt/wherever" to
access the CF card.  It's a VFAT filesystem, so mount should be able to
figure out the FS type without you having to tell it.

On my Thinkpad 770X/Z, it's /dev/hde1.  That's where it's likely to end up
on your machine.

I made a /mnt/pcmcia directory and put this in my /etc/fstab file:

/dev/hde1    /mnt/pcmcia  auto  noauto,users  0 0

... and now I can mount the card using the Nautilus menu.