[ltp] Mustek 1200CU Scanner

Tod Harter tharter at rhombus.net
Tue Apr 15 18:28:29 CEST 2003

Well, going through some of the posts on the Mandrake Club site seems to
indicate that USB hotplug and its relationship to overall system
configuration is a total cluster-nastiness. Basically the story seems to be
that when USB devices come and go at different IDs the kernel doesn't supply
enough information for the system to properly reconfigure itself. In MDK 9.x
this appears to manifest in all sorts of ugly problems. I expect you will
find the same problems in any distro that tries to manage these device
configurations.

Its bad enough that moving your printer from one USB port to another can ball
things up bad enough to require essentially a complete reinstall. Some
devices are not so bad off, but it sounded to me like the best advice with
printers and scanners is to install the OS, plug them in, and NEVER EVER EVER
IN A MILLION YEARS move them or unplug them. The one guy that seemed to
completely understand this issue claims it can only be fixed by a major
rework in the kernel, but now there seems to be some controversy about that
as well. Sigh.

On Monday 14 April 2003 05:47 pm, Charles E Taylor IV wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Apr 2003 22:32:22 +0100
>
> Richard Neill <rn214 at hermes.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> > This is "a feature, not a bug"  - removable (ie usb) devices get an icon
>
> Yeah, but the guy's got one scanner and four icons - even when the
> scanner's not connected. THAT'S a bug!
>
> --
> *  Charles Taylor <tomalek at mindspring.com>
> *  Chemistry teacher, Linux enthusiast!