[ltp] any experience with the R40?

Pam Huntley phuntley at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 15 18:36:48 CEST 2003

Here's a summary of my very quick, informal testing:

Testing R40P with SuSE 8.1
model 2681-1au
Installation -
Have to specify LCD size.
note - May not be able to do certain types of encryption on wireless card
installation completes ok

X windows - works okay, 1024x768
Audio - works okay
PCMCIA - loads and unloads cards okay (tested wireless card & modem card)
Power management - suspends and resumes okay (lid close and fn-f4). have to
unplug pcmcia cards fist
Ethernet - works (intel pro100 VE)
Wireless - driver works, may not have support for all encryption types.
WEP supported.
Bluetooth - drivers appear to be present, would need to download utilities
to use it
Modem - no.
3rd mouse button - third mouse button doesn't work out of the box, updated
drivers avail for download.

I expect with extended testing there will be some odd problems with power
management, seems like there always is.  Although I believe the R40
supports ACPI okay, some of the models need to get the recent BIOS update
for a fix so it works with Linux.

The other thing to mention is that is comes with a variety of options for
communiciations (wireless, ethernet, modem, bluetooth).  The 802.11a/b
combo card doesn't currently have a driver.   The Cisco 802.11b you have to
get the open source driver with the proprietary configuration tool!?! from
Cicso directly.  The 802.11b card that's labeled "IBM High Rate" should
work okay.  And we have one by Intel, but I don't think it's available on
the R40.  The Intel wireless card doesn't have a driver yet either.  So
stick with Cisco or IBM brand.

And of course, this is just the results of my personal, very quick
compatibility check, it doesn't guarantee compatibility or even that other
issues won't turn up.  (Insert IBM standard disclaimer here!).

Pam

|---------+--------------------------------------->
|         |           NAGY Andras                 |
|         |           <nagya at inf.elte.hu>         |
|         |           Sent by:                    |
|         |           linux-thinkpad-admin at linux-t|
|         |           hinkpad.org                 |
|         |                                       |
|         |                                       |
|         |           04/14/2003 05:59 PM         |
|         |           Please respond to           |
|         |           linux-thinkpad              |
|         |                                       |
|---------+--------------------------------------->
  |       To:       linux-thinkpad at linux-thinkpad.org                                                                                           |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                                   |
  |       Subject:  [ltp] any experience with the R40?                                                                                          |

I couldn't find anything on the web about Linux vs ThinkPad R40.  It
would be great if someone who tried Linux on this model would share
his/her experiences with us.

regards,
Andras