[ltp] SIMPLE QUESTIONS

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 16 05:48:34 CEST 2003

J. C. Masias Guillen wrote:

>I think most of the problems we have about install linux in tp's because
>of licenses are important but what about:
>
>- speed: if you install linux, but is slow.
>- the computer: if you install linux, but you can't use the Fn funtions.
>
>I have a 600E, p2, 366mhz, 64mb, 6.4gb.
>
>SPEED
>- At least, How much extra memory I will buy to increase speed as in
>windows 98?

It is not necessary to install any more memory, however, you can install
up to 288MB of memory in the 600E.

>- Can I erase the swap partition?

Please don't.  This partition serves the same purpose as the swap file
under Windows98.  No swap partition, no ability to run more programs
than you have physical memory.

>FN FUNCTIONS
>- If I only install in one partition Linux (I really dont want w98), The
>FN functions will work? or I must have a DOS partition?

They work without any Windows98 on the system.  I have installed Linux
onto its own drive.

>- The hibernation will work whitout a DOS partition?

Depends.  I found that you should have a FAT16 partition of the same
size as you have memory +  video + 1MB.  I think this is a function of
the BIOS to be able to boot off of the partition.

James McKenzie