[ltp] THE OTHER PC DON'T HAVE A NETWORK CARD

James Mckenzie jjmckenzie51 at earthlink.net
Wed Apr 16 05:52:48 CEST 2003

J. C. Masias Guillen wrote:

>I know that is better if I buy a network card, but if the other don't
>have one?.
>
>1. What are the steps to use a Serial connection in linux? (I now use a
>direct cable connection in w98....arghhhh).

You will have to install the ltmodem drivers to use the 'soft' modem
under windows.  Use Google under Windows98 to find the latest version
and download the drivers.

>2. By a serial connection I can use the graphic mode (KDE, GNOME)? Is
>similar as in windows 98?

Depends on which Linux distribution you have.  I use KPPP under RH 8.0
for a graphical interface to the pppd daemon.

>3. What kind of connections I can do? linux-linux?, linux-windows?
>(please, windows-windows....no)

You can use SAMBA to connect from LINUX to Windows shared devices such
as shared drive partitions and printers.

James Mckenzie