[ltp] SIMPLE QUESTIONS -Reply

Ross Patterson Ross.Patterson at CatchFS.Com
Wed Apr 16 18:33:21 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 16 April 2003 11:43 am, Chris Hoekstra wrote:
> Has anyone else had any problem with generic laptop memory?

Yes.  We have a small pile of ThinkPads here, a mix of 600s, As and Ts.  We've
been very happy with name-brand non-IBM memory (e..g Crucial.Com aka Micron),
and we've had all sorts of problems with no-brand memory.  Problems like
random lockups, boot failures, etc.  We used memtest86
(http://www.memtest86.com/) to check the DIMMs, and that was the deciding
factor - the no-brand ones failed all sorts of tests.

We now run tests on all memory we get in, and Crucial.Com always passes all
tests.  We don't pay much more than for no-brand, and we're much happier.
--
Ross A. Patterson
Chief Technology Officer