[ltp] slmdm and t30?

Tino Keitel tino.keitel at web.de
Wed Apr 16 23:42:44 CEST 2003

On Wed, Apr 16, 2003 at 21:39:55 +0200, Matthias Posseldt wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 April 2003 20:25, Tino Keitel wrote:
> > > I use the driver from
> > > http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/smartlink/
> > >
> > > The latest version there is 2.7.9, and it works perfectly for me. In
> >
> > 2.7.10 is latest. Anyone out there who has hacked in devfs support?
> > If not, I will give it a try. Having non-devfs-aware devices in a
> > devfs-environenment sucks somewhat. A Debian package would also be
> > a nice idea.
>
> Yes, me has configured it on Gentoo with devfs:
>
> ----- /etc/devfs.d/modem ------
> LOOKUP          ^ttySL0$        MODLOAD ACTION slmodem
> REGISTER        ^ttySL0$        PERMISSIONS root.dialout 660
>
> LOOKUP          ^ppp$           MODLOAD ACTION ppp_generic
> REGISTER        ^ppp$           PERMISSIONS root.dialout 660
> ----- /etc/devfs.d/modem ------
>
> ----- /etc/modules.d/modem ------
> ## SmartLink AMR modem
> alias char-major-212 slmodem
> alias /dev/ttySL0 slmodem
> alias slmodem slamrmo
> options slmdm country=GERMANY
> ----- /etc/modules.d/modem ------
>
> Although I don't fully understand the devfs configuration syntax it
> seems to work (I copied and modified a section that was given in
> Gentoo's default installation).
>
> I use a link /dev/modem -> /dev/ttySL0 and let KPPP use the /dev/modem
> default.

The problem here is that the device node won't be created if the module
is loaded, only removed if the module is unloaded. That's why I have to
use this line:

post-install slamrmo mknod  -m 660 /dev/ttySL0 c 212 0 ; chown root:dialout /dev/ttySL0

But real devfs support would be more fun.

Regards,
Tino