[ltp] 600E-2645-4AU and serial port problems

wes schreiner wes at infosink.com
Sat Apr 19 09:18:59 CEST 2003

Ken Restivo wrote:

>lspnp doesn't work, because I'm using a 2.4 kernel, so there's no "proc/bus/pnp" as is expected by lspnp. It seems that setpnp/lspnp has been deprecated in favour of isa-pnp.

No, PNP support is too new for the the mainline 2.4.x kernel, but you
can get it in the -ac patches and it is probably included in others. For
example, even a kernel as recent as 2.4.21-pre6 doesn't have PNP, but
2.4.x-ac kernels have had it for about a year. Some vendor kernels may
be patched for PNP but I don't know which ones. PNP doesn't really have
anything to do with isa-pnp, and isa-pnp devices are obsolescent. Once
you boot a kernel with PNP support you will have /proc/bus/pnp, and
lspnp/setpnp will work fine.

>I'm not using PS2.EXE, because I don't have DOS or Windoze on this thing, only Linux partitions and a single FAT32 partition with a hibernate file on it (hmm... will PS2.EXE work under dosemu-freedos? Just wondering...).

I doubt that PS2.EXE will work under dosemu because of how it will want
to frob the hardware directly. You can always boot off of a MSDOS floppy
and then run PS2.EXE off of another floppy. Or if your FAT32 partition
has a couple meg free you can put PS2.EXE and its associated files there
and either make the partition bootable to MSDOS or boot off of a floppy.
PS2.EXE runs slowly off of a floppy but it gets the job done eventually.
PS2.EXE might run under native freedos but I haven't tried that.

There are a few things that PS2.EXE can do that aren't covered by setpnp
or tpctl so you really can't avoid it. However all of the serial port
settings can be read/set by lspnp/setpnp as long as your kernel has PNP
support.

wes