[ltp] 600E-2645-4AU and serial port problems

wes schreiner wes at infosink.com
Sun Apr 20 18:07:39 CEST 2003

Tino Keitel wrote:

>On Sat, Apr 19, 2003 at 02:18:59 -0500, wes schreiner wrote:
>

>>Ken Restivo wrote:
>>

>>>lspnp doesn't work, because I'm using a 2.4 kernel, so there's no
>>>"proc/bus/pnp" as is expected by lspnp. It seems that setpnp/lspnp has
>>>been deprecated in favour of isa-pnp.
>>>

>>No, PNP support is too new for the the mainline 2.4.x kernel, but you
>>can get it in the -ac patches and it is probably included in others. For
>>example, even a kernel as recent as 2.4.21-pre6 doesn't have PNP, but
>>2.4.x-ac kernels have had it for about a year. Some vendor kernels may
>>be patched for PNP but I don't know which ones. PNP doesn't really have
>>anything to do with isa-pnp, and isa-pnp devices are obsolescent. Once
>>you boot a kernel with PNP support you will have /proc/bus/pnp, and
>>lspnp/setpnp will work fine.
>>

>Another way to get /proc/bus/pnp is to use the pcmcia modules from the
>pcmcia-cs package instead of the kernel pcmcia modules. This will also
>work with the mainline 2.4.x kernel.
>
>Regards,
>Tino

Hmm, I'm compiling pcmcia-cs from source (Debian woody package
pcmcia-source, containing pcmcia-cs version 3.1.33) and I'm not seeing
any /proc/bus/pnp unless I boot an -ac kernel. What module creates
/proc/bus/pnp? I have the following pcmcia-cs modules loaded:
pcmcia_core, ds, cb_enabler, i82365, and 3c575cb. I looked at the
modules I don't have loaded and they all seem to be for devices that I
don't have. Is this something that showed up in a newer version of
pcmcia-cs, or perhaps something added to another vendor's package?

wes