[ltp] Xfree 4.3 and T30

Atul Chitnis achitnis at exocore.com
Mon Apr 21 08:39:08 CEST 2003

On 21 Apr 2003, Greg Macek wrote:

> What do the patches fix? Any reason these patches haven't been accepted
> back into the main X tree for the rest of the world to enjoy? :) I'm
> guessing by the sounds of it that you don't receive these "mtrr" error
> messages in your /var/log/messages? Is this something I even need to be
> concerned about in daily use of X?

Here are the patch names - maybe they tell you something ;-)

XFree86-4.2.99.901-024_r128_and_radeon_vgahw_independence.patch
XFree86-4.2.99.901-ati-radeon-argb-cursor-fix-from-keithp.patch
XFree86-4.2.99.901-ati-radeon-ia64-pagesize.patch
XFree86-4.2.99.902-ati-radeon-alan-legacy-vga.patch
XFree86-4.3.0-ati-radeon-dpms-on-dvi-v2.patch

As for why they arent in the main XFree86 tree - I guess you must have
missed the recent civil war on the XFree86 front, which addresses exactly
this issue - patches not being integrated even if submitted. In fact Mike
Harris wrote an extremely bitter note about it:

http://www.advogato.org/person/mharris/

Check notes on and after 9th Jan.

I do not get the mtrr and regXX errors you describe. I am not sure whether
this is good or bad (I am just a user, not a developer), but unless
something breaks, I wouldn't quite build an underground bunker yet. ;-)

However in your case, stuff *appears* to be breaking, so maybe you do have
a problem. I'd check on the Suse 8.2 support lists to see if anyone else
is reporting something of this sort.

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis at exocore.com
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 344-0397