[ltp] Setting up a Zip 250 USB

Atul Chitnis achitnis at exocore.com
Wed Apr 23 10:30:14 CEST 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003, Jim Hughes wrote:

> Somewhere in that I messed up the files /dev/sda4 so I thought that I could
> delete it and just copy another similar named file over and be ok.  Wrong!
> Now when I try to mount it, it says either one of two messages:  Either it
> says that it could not mount the file system due to it not knowing what kind
> it was or that only root can mount the drive.

Two ways of going about it:

1. Use the mknod command to create a block device of major 8, minor 4,
chown'd to root.disk (man mknod):

or

2. Mount your RHL CD (you use RHL 8, right?) as root, and run

   rpm -Uvh --force /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/dev-*.rpm

The latter is probably quicker if you have messed up more than one /dev
entry ;-)

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis at exocore.com
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 344-0397