[ltp] ATI Radeon 3D features

Rene Cunningham rene at dcnut.com
Wed Apr 23 15:49:04 CEST 2003

On Tue, Apr 22, 2003 at 12:13:26AM -0400, olusola omosebi wrote:
>   I don't know how to enable the 3D features of the ATI Radeon graphics
> card.

These steps can be found through google in more detail.

1) Download xfree86 source for 4.3.0 which has the radeon driver in it,
called X430src-3.tgz.
2) untar it and cd into
xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/linux/drm/kernel/ , where you
can do `make -f Makefile.linux`.
3) if all goes well you should have radeon.o in that directory, which
can be copied into /lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc/. Do a `depmod -ae`,
then a `modprobe radeon`. Make sure you dont have the kernel's radeon
driver built into the kernel or as a module.
4) Open your X11 config file (usually /etc/X11/XF86Config-4) and make
sure 'Load "dri"' and 'Load "glx"' are unhashed. In the 'Section "Device"'
section for your video card put in 'Driver "radon"'. At the bottom of
the X11 config file put in

Section "DRI"
       Mode    0666
EndSection
5) Restart X and you should have opengl support. You can tell by running
`glxinfo` which should show "direct rendering: Yes".

Hope this helps.

>Does anyone know, tha best games dont play on my T30 because of it
I took a quick look at Quake3 but didnt get a great FPS. Could of been
because my P4 stepped down to 1.2GHz. Trackballs and foobillards runs
fine.

--

Rene Cunningham
DCNUT Pty Ltd