[ltp] T23 Keyboard failure with SuSE

Carl Klitscher carl at nz1.ibm.com
Mon Apr 28 23:27:13 CEST 2003

I had a similar situation with SuSE 8.0 on a 600x which was eventually
traced to a Token Ring PCMCIA card conflict problem... after spending many
months forcing keyboard interrupts during boot one of the suggestions via
the Token Ring people was to force a specific IRQ number on the card.
Unfortunately I no longer have either the machine or the notes or the token
ring card... None of these specifics may apply to your situation however
IRQ conflicts in general can be a cause of a number of odd problems so it
may be worth having a poke about in that area. If you can boot XP or
Mandrake then have a look at what they have assigned IRQ's to and then try
to match that as closely as possible under SuSE.

Carl

                      Kevin White
                      <kevin.white at clubpit.com>           To:       linux-thinkpad at linux-thinkpad.org
                      Sent by:                            cc:
                      linux-thinkpad-admin at linux-t        Subject:  [ltp] T23 Keyboard failure with SuSE
                      hinkpad.org

                      04/28/03 11:21 PM
                      Please respond to
                      linux-thinkpad

Greetings,

I'm at the end of my tether trying to get SuSE working on my T23. I've
bought and tried every SuSE from 7.0 to 8.1 and each has suffered the
same fate.
They all install correctly, but suffer from random keyboard failures
when booting. This occurs approximately 80% of the time, making it next
to useless. However
on the occasions where it does boot correctly, it works fine until the
next boot. SuSE boots all the way through to the graphical login, but
the keyobard then fails
to respond when typing in the username or password, the mouse and other
operations still work fine.

I've attempted to boot in text mode, but that suffers the same fate.
I've unplugged all external devices, but thats made no difference. I've
tried using the "safe mode", but that doesn't solve the problem either.
SuSE support have given me numerous boot options to try, none of which
have worked and their latest advice is that i should buy a new laptop!

The obvious answer would be a hardware problem of some sort. However
Windows XP and Mandrake both work without problem, its a SuSE specific
problem. Unfortunately my employers use SuSE, so i need to try and get
it working on this laptop. Whats particularly galling is i picked this
model solely because it had certified by Linux Care as working with SuSE
since 7.1

The specifics are that its a standard T23, model 2647-AG0, has the
latest BIOS and currently uses the boot options :

ide=nodma , apm=off , acpi=off , pci=acpi

Any pointers as to the problem and its cause would be most gratefully
received.

Many thanks,

Kevin White

#### smime.p7s has been removed from this note on April 29 2003 by Carl
Klitscher