[ltp] Unplugging USB PCMCIA card

D. Sen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 01 Aug 2003 12:20:50 +1000

What is the correct procedure to unplug a USB PCMCIA (cardbus) device? I
get the card to work properly but when I attempt to 'cardctl eject X',
the machine hangs. I  have an Adaptec USB 2.0 device that I am using to
connect an external hard drive. The hard drive appears as a SCSI device
(usb-storage)....which I can mount, etc. When I am done with the drive,
I `umount the device`. Everything is fine so far....but as soon as I
type 'cardctl eject 0/1' as a safe way to unplug the card...everything
freezes.

It has been a while since I had to use pcmcia cards (since network,
modems and wireless devices were integrated into the laptops). It seems
that everything is handled through `hotplug`....

DS