[ltp] Intel 2100b WiFi Card

Frank Schaeckermann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 04 Aug 2003 10:41:52 +0200

Dan Borello dan-at-borellos.com |Linux on ThinkPads| wrote:
> Has there been any change in the status of this card under linux?  I
> know that Intel reported that they would have full centrino support for
> linux.
>
> I have a T40 and would LOVE to get linux running on it.  I have read a
> few pages about getting Debian installed, they all mention the lack of
> support for the IBM Wifi card, but fail to mention the Intel 802.11b
> card.
>
> Just for fun I loaded up Slackware 9.0 onto the T40 (and created
> partitions without clobbering the restore partition).  It installed
> great!  Alot of things appeared to work right away (sound, video, NIC).
> lspci found the intel WLAN card, but no driver was loaded for it.  I
> wanted to test to see if my recovery partition was still alive and
> clobbered the slack install, nothing lost.
>
> Any insight is appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> db

I had the following e-mail conversation with Intel Support Staff... I
don't think anybody should hold their breath for Linux support of the
Wifi card... but read for yourself:

My first contact via their support form:

->Name: Frank Schäckermann
->Email: xxx
->Customer_type: End-user
->Product: Intel(R) Centrino(TM) Mobile Technology
->Product_id: 955
->OS: Linux*
->Survey_opt_in: No
->Manufacturer: IBM ThinkPad T40p
->OEM: Yes
->component: Wireless Adapter
->Processor_speed: 1600MHz
->RAM: 1.5GB
->Device_driver_version:
->ProSet:
->Wireless_network:
->application:
->Phone:
->Issue: The Intel Wireless PRO 2100 chipset does not have a Linux
driver and apparently there is no technical specification available for
the community to try to write one. This is a very unpleasent situation
especially since our company is starting to use wireless network in our
offices!!!
->Form_id: 59
Their answer:

Hello Frank,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

Please note that Linux will run on any IA based PC.  Intel(R)
Centrino(TM) Mobile Technology-based systems include integrated 802.11b
wireless LAN capability, requiring particular drivers, which currently
do not run on Linux.  Intel has no plans at this time to write Linux
drivers for the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN MiniPCI Adapters.

For a list of drivers currently available for components of Intel
Centrino mobile technology (i.e. Intel(R) Extreme Graphics Drivers)
refer to the following link:
	http://downloadfinder2.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=39&strTypes=DRV&ProductID=955&OSFullName=Linux*&submit=Go%21

Please check the following site for Operating system support requirements:

	http://support.intel.com/support/notebook/centrino/os.htm

Please do not hesitate to contact us again if you need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Carlos B.
Intel(R) Technical Support

Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries
In the United States and other countries.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.
My response  to their answer:

Hi Carlos!

Thanks for your prompt answer to my question!

If Intel - as you stated - doesn't have any plans to create Linux
drivers for the Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN MiniPCI Adapters, do you
at least release the required technical information for the Linux
community to create the necessary drivers itself?

Or do I have to read your answer the way that you just don't care if
anybody can run Linux on Notebooks using this particular Adapter? I know
your statement is that Linux runs on Inte(R) Centrino(TM) Mobile
Technology-based systems but frankly, THAT statement only holds true if
all the hardware of such a system is supported since I can't run Linux
on it if I have to have wireless support!

I will make sure that the answer to my question you gave me so far will
be widely known in the Linux community so people can avoid making the
same mistake I did and stay away from buying notebooks with the Intel(R)
PRO/Wireless 2100 LAN MiniPCI Adapters (which probably rules out a great
number of Centrino based notebooks).

Kind regards, Frank Schaeckermann
And their - so far - final response to that:

Hello Frank,

Thank you for contacting Intel(R) Technical Support.

We apologize if the information you have received did not meet your
expectations.

Unfortunately the required technical information you are requesting is
confidential. The Intel(R) Technical Support Staff cannot comment or
disclose any information classified as confidential. Likewise, Intel(R)
Technical Support cannot comment on any Company Internal Policies,
Operation Procedures or Business Management decisions.

We apologize for any inconveniences this may cause.

Sincerely,

Carlos B.
Intel(R) Technical Support

Intel is a registered trademark of Intel Corporation or its subsidiaries
In the United States and other countries.

*Other names and brands may be claimed as the property of others.

Maybe IBM can do something here... really a pitty and shows how far the
Intel commitment to Linux REALLY goes...

Regards, Frank