[ltp] Re: Intel 2100b WiFi Card

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 15:31:35 -0400

On Tuesday 05 August 2003 03:28 pm, Martin Gramatke wrote:
> Frank Schaeckermann wrote:
> > [...] really a pitty and shows how far the
> > Intel commitment to Linux REALLY goes...
>
> To double the pressure on Intel, I wrote them a similar mail. :-)
>
> I don't understand why they keep the technical info under disclosure. A
> distrustful mind might suspect a microsoft deal.

No, the mind-set is basically that releasing source would give your
competition an edge in reverse-engineering your hardware. Its basically a
very stupid concept since hardware is worthless by itself. It makes just as
much sense as if they only made cards for one certain brand of machine. In
this day and age its knowing how to create a good design and fabricate it
cost-effectively that matters. Electronics are a commodity, yet manufacturers
STILL obviously haven't learned that.

--
Giant Electronic Brain
Internet/E-Commerce Consulting Services