[ltp] Lotus Office

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 7 Aug 2003 12:25:45 -0400

On Wednesday 06 August 2003 03:09 pm, Frank Roberts - SOTL wrote:
> Hi All
>
> For some time I have been struggling with Open Office file compability
> between the MS side of this box and the Linux side.

What I've discovered is that COMPATIBILITY wise OO is virtually 100% at
handling MS Office file formats. The problem is that CONCEPTUALLY the two
programs can be very different...

For example, there IS a way to do outlines in OO, but it is so completely
different in concept from how outlining works in MS Office that its
essentially meaningless to go back and forth. The outline in MS Office just
ends up being a bunch of headings in OO, which is not BAD, but thats just not
the way you author an outline in OO and having that document is effectively
useless if you wanted to edit it on both sides :(.

Other similar examples abound.

> One of the big issue has been spell check and thesaurus in both MS Office
> and Open Office in Linus.
>  At times a file will some how indicate that no words are to be spelled
> checked for some unknown reason. This occurs always with the same file in
> both MS Office and Linux Open Office but never in MS Lotus Office.

Well, I don't even own windows, let alone Office, but I know what you mean,
sometimes spell-checking in OO just fails for a particular document with no
explanation, its as if no matter what nothing is misspelled. One would have
to assume there is some flag someplace that causes that, or some error that
creeps into the file.

> That caused me to wonder if there is a downloadable version of Linux Lotus
> Office and to start looking on the Lotus site for such.
> Unfortunately I was unable to find Lotus Office for Linux and/or to
> understand that I had found it because of a variety collection of unknown
> names. I can not ascertain what I am looking for.
>
> Does anybody know if there is a downloadable Lotus Office for Linux and if
> so what the URL would be.
>
> Thanks
> Frank

I imagine you would have to pay for it....
--
Giant Electronic Brain
Internet/E-Commerce Consulting Services