[ltp] T40 Wifi Card

Joel Ebel linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 09 Aug 2003 09:52:08 -0400

There are only 3 cards that will work at all in teh T40, and the orinoco
is not one of them.  Any card other than those three will be locked out
by the BIOS and the computer will not boot at all.  The workign ones are
the intel that you have, which does not work at all in linux, the IBM
Dual Band wireless, which is the card that all the madwifi driver buzz
is about, so apparently it is beginning to work ok with linux.  I
haven't tried the latest drivers myself.  And third, the cisco card,
which seems to be the best supported overall.  You can either use the
drivers directly from cisco, or Benjamin Reed's driver.  I've been using
cisco's driver without too many issues.  You do have to be careful about
what version of the firmware you use, and I've had problems getting it
working after a suspend.  The cisco driver does require that you use
their configuration tools rather than the linux wireless extensions.
Benjamin Reed's would not, but I haven't taken the time to try it.  I'd
definitely recommend the cisco card if you're looking to buy one.  I had
the IBM dual band card, and chose to purchase the cisco to replace it,
but that was before the working drivers came out.  I haven't gone back
to try them though.

Good luck,
Joel