[ltp] New To List - blank console

Bret Comstock Waldow linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
09 Aug 2003 18:13:11 -0400

On Sat, 2003-08-09 at 14:11, Dale H. Cook wrote:

> The first problem I'm having is that the system locks up when I logout from
> KDE. It may have something to do with running at 1024x768 - it's what I run
> with Win98SE, and it looks great in KDE, but logout yields a black screen.
> I had to take several whacks at the installation before I could get the
> video working in KDE in the first place. I'll reconfigure to 800x600 and
> see what happens.

You mention KDE - do you mean you log in to other window managers, and
it doesn't give you a blank screen when you log out?

When you start the machine, up until you see the graphical login - do
you see text messages scrolling up reporting the boot process?

I've seen this when the kernel was trying to write to a console frame
buffer that wasn't there.

Cheers,
Bret

--