[ltp] Suspend mystery

Mendel Cooper linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 20:51:47 -0700 (MST)

I have a TP 770Z, running kernel version 2.4.20.

Yesterday my wife accidentally pulled the plug on me while I was in
suspend (with the lid closed). The green power LED stayed on (dimly). When
I hurriedly plugged back in, about 20 seconds later, and opened the
lid, I had the very pleasant surprise of the session being restored and
everything resuming as normal.

The mystery is . . . that *I didn't have the battery installed*. So, where in
the heck was the power coming from to maintain suspend? The CMOS battery? The
filter caps on the motherboard? The filter caps in the power supply (only the
AC plug had been pulled)?

I'm afraid to try this again, but can't help wondering how long suspend would
have been sustained without any power. A minute or two? Longer?