[ltp] re: XFree86 locking and crashing on T40 with RedHat 9.0

Doug Sturim linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 20:22:31 -0400

I had this exact problem with a T40p running suse 8.2.  I tracked the
problem to when my 1 gig rem module was plugged in.  The machine was
great when at 512 of ram but all hell broke loose with the 1 gig of
memory installed.  It had something to do with the pcmcia/pci cage.

My solution was to pulled the mem card get the latest kernel patch
(2.4.20) and recompile and install. After that everything is great.

>>On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 19:39, otisg wrote:
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>
>>>I have a T40 (one of those Centrino TPs) with RedHat 9.0 on it
>>>(not sure what the exact kernel version is, I am not on that
>>>machine now, but it's one of the 2.4 kernels, maybe 2.4-18 or
>>>-19 or some such).
>>>
>>>I have 2 big problems with Linux on this machine.
>>>
>>>1. X sometimes locks up.  I can't even ALT-Backspace out of
>>>XFree86.  I have to reboot the whole machine.  This seems to
>>>happen randomly.
>>>I have noticed that the little CAPS LOCK status light at the
>>>bottom of the LCD starts blinking every time X locks up like
>>>this.
>>>
>>>2. X sometimes just crashes randomly.  This sucks, but at least
>>>that doesn't require a reboot.  I can't check which version of
>>>XFree86 this is, but it s whichever version ships with RH 9.0.
>>>
>>>Has anyone seen this on their T40s or similar ThinkPads?
>>>Has anyone been able to solve these problems?
>>>
>>>I use this TP for work, and this is decreasing my productivity,
>>>and is very annoying, as you can imagine. :(
>>>
>>>Thank you,
>>>Otis
Douglas Sturim, Ph.D.                 Email: sturim@ll.mit.edu
Technical Staff                       Phone: 781.981.4462
Information Systems Technology Group  Fax  : 781.981.0186
MIT Lincoln Laboratory                WWW  : http://www.ll.mit.edu/SST/
244 Wood St
Lexington, MA 02420-9185