[ltp] re: XFree86 locking and crashing on T40 with RedHat 9.0

Frank Schaeckermann linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 11 Aug 2003 11:02:14 +0200

Doug Sturim sturim-at-ll.mit.edu |Linux on ThinkPads| wrote:
> I had this exact problem with a T40p running suse 8.2.  I tracked the
> problem to when my 1 gig rem module was plugged in.  The machine was
> great when at 512 of ram but all hell broke loose with the 1 gig of
> memory installed.  It had something to do with the pcmcia/pci cage.
>
> My solution was to pulled the mem card get the latest kernel patch
> (2.4.20) and recompile and install. After that everything is great.

That sounds like the problem I had with my T40p (with 1.5GB RAM
installed). I found the solution to it in this article:
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0306.3/0956.html

My T40p would only work if I had the ethernet disabled and PCMCIA didn't
work at all. Doing what that article said, all the problems went away
(using RH 9.0 with kernel 2.4.20-19.9+that patch)!

Frank