[ltp] .config file needed for T40p

Pete Trachy linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
14 Aug 2003 09:56:10 +0800

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 00:03, Brad Langhorst wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 13:00, chris gavin wrote:
> > why shouldnt he use a new gcc? 3.2.3 is stable now ...
> >
> > 2.95 is very old indeed!
> because the kernel says don't compile this with anything but 2.95 if you
> want a stable system...
>
> this is from
> Documentation/Changes in the kernel tree
>
> > The recommended compiler for the kernel is gcc 2.95.x (x >= 3), and it
> > should be used when you need absolute stability. You may use gcc 3.0.x
> > instead if you wish, although it may cause problems. Later versions of
> > gcc
> > have not received much testing for Linux kernel compilation, and there
> > are
> > almost certainly bugs (mainly, but not exclusively, in the kernel)
> > that
> > will need to be fixed in order to use these compilers.
>
> I've compiled with 3.2 and it works - but i saw some wierd oops
> and some complex (read random) compile failures.
>
> brad

I'm using gcc 3.3.1.  I actually downloaded the 2.4.21 source directly
from kernel.org and got it to compile fine.  I had been using the debian
source package, whatever patch is used on it must have messed something
up.  Another guy on debian-laptops was having the same errors as me.
Since I can, I think I'm going to get my feet wet with the 2.4.21 kernel
and then try the 2.6 again.

Thanks for all the feedback,

Pete