[ltp] Questions about the T40

Theodore Ts'o linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 22:24:58 -0400

On Thu, Aug 14, 2003 at 04:00:51AM +0200, Arne Schwabe wrote:

> I am playing with the thought of buying me a T40 and would like to know
> a few things about it:
>
> What how does it work with battery (9cell) and is there a difference
> between linux and windows?

I get about 5-6 hours (depending on what I'm doing) with the 9 cell.
I expect it's slightly better under Windows because the ACPI support
would mean you can do better power management.  (I don't use ACPI
under Linux because suspend doesn't work well enough; however APM
support works just fine.)  I haven't really measured how much better
the Windows power management, is though --- the battery life under
Linux is quite adequate for my needs.

> I am a little bit confused about the R40 and T40. They seem to be almost
> identical, what is the main difference between them?

Look at the size and weight.  The T40 is much slimmer and lighter.

> Is the Sound supported under linux?

Yes, it works very well.  For Linux 2.4, it's the i810_audio driver.

						- Ted