[ltp] T40: airo_mpi death under high load? (fwd)

Fabrice Bellet linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 18:15:53 +0200

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 10:40:46PM +0100, honey@gneek.com wrote:
> Incidentally Fabrice, which MPI350 firmware did you reproduce this
> problem with?

5b00.08

> I'm currently running 05.00.03, and have previously
> seen it on 05.00.01.  The current version (I think 05.01.19?) doesn't
> work at all under Linux, but I haven't tried (or been able to find)
> 4.x firmware.

Someone from emperorlinux.com made tests and reported the results
on the linux-kernel ML last month. The subject was "Cisco mpi350 _way_
sub-optimal", I cite him :

"newer Cisco cards have firmwares _so_ new, you have to boot into _windows_
to flash then back to a linux-friendly firmware.  The new firmware (5th rev?)
will lock the system on "modprobe mpi350", you need to get back to the 50003
firmware.  Cisco cards with firmware ver. 50001, 50003, 50220, 52017 are all
revertable in our testing.  (That is Linux can load mpi350.o, so you can use
"acu" to backdate the firmware).  Cisco and IBM are both now shipping mpi350
cards with a new firmware that causes the load of mpi350 to _lock_ the
system."

Best wishes,
--
fabrice