[ltp] T40: airo_mpi death under high load? (fwd)

Dan Borello linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 14 Aug 2003 20:17:06 -0500

On Thu, 2003-08-14 at 13:37, honey@gneek.com wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Aug 2003, Fabrice Bellet wrote:
>
> > "newer Cisco cards have firmwares _so_ new, you have to boot into _windows_
> > to flash then back to a linux-friendly firmware.  The new firmware (5th rev?)
> > will lock the system on "modprobe mpi350", you need to get back to the 50003
> > firmware.  Cisco cards with firmware ver. 50001, 50003, 50220, 52017 are all
> > revertable in our testing.
>
> OK: terminology for firmware levels gets confusing here but I think
> I recognise 50003 as being my 05.00.03 I'm currently running, as
> reported by the XP client.  Certainly, it's revertible on the card
> shipped with my T40 (if you keep XP, not tried acu!) and worked as
> delivered - only broke later when I stupidly let XP update it.
>
> Not sure what your 5b00.08 is!  Where is this reported in Linux?
>
> > I have the same drop out problems under high load too. Both with the
> > airo_mpi driver and with the cisco driver too, which is somewhat logical, as
> > both share a very similar code for tx/rx/interrupt handler. I can only test
> > with Linux.
> >
> > Did you try the cisco driver for linux in the same load conditions ? And
> > is it more stable ?
>
> Nope: never have as I didn't like the idea of a non-standard
> interface.  I'll try to have a go soon, though.
>
> > Mine quietly stops working with a message "NETDEV WATCHDOG:
> > eth1: transmit timed out" in my logs. Trying to remove the driver in this
> > state usually freezes the machine. I made a lot of tests during several
> > hours, and another typical error message of the cisco driver is :
> >
> > Aug 14 14:28:52 localhost kernel: Command int!
> > Aug 14 14:28:52 localhost kernel: Link stat int ls=8001
> > Aug 14 14:28:52 localhost kernel: No carrier
> > Aug 14 14:30:56 localhost kernel: venuscommand cmd = 21
>
> As you say, very hard to get anywhere with so many variables: I don't
> get crashes like yours above, and you don't get crashes like mine.
> Maybe if we try the same firmware level..?
>
> One last question, just in case we are dealing with simultaneous bad
> hardware, or an early firmware problem with the hardware: do you still
> have XP installed?  If so, does it also stop working under heavy load
> and device look as if it's suddenly missing?  Mine does.  Suspicious.

I still have my XP partition intact.  Tonight I will fight with grub to see if i cannot get it to boot.  What are you guys doing to give these thing loads?  Does ping -f do it?  What about if the card is mainly recieving vs transmitting.

Let me know.

--
Dan Borello <dan@borellos.com>