[ltp] USB Boot Floppy

Dale H. Cook linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 15 Aug 2003 22:05:16 -0400

At 12:53 PM 8/15/2003 -0700, James P. K. Gilb wrote:

>You didn't mention the hardware that you were using.

Thinkpad i1200 with the external USB floppy drive, using the latest BIOS.

>As I recall, the BIOS in at least some of the thinkpads has the option to
>enable or disable booting from USB devices.  You might start there.
>
>You definitely need to put the USB dev in the boot order earlier than the
>hard drive, the default behavior of the BIOS in the laptop will be that it
>does not boot from an USB floppy.

I've always had the BIOS set to boot from floppy, CD-ROM and HD, in that
order. It's not a problem of disk access - the BIOS accesses the floppy
first on boot, it just doesn't find anything in the drive it can boot from.

Dale H. Cook, Chief Engineer, WWWR Roanoke VA, WCQV Moneta VA, WKBA WZZI
Vinton VA, WKPA WLNI WZZU Lynchburg VA, WMNA / WMNA-FM Gretna VA
Star City Antique Radios and Test Equipment:
http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/oldcolony/radios/radtop.html