[ltp] USB Boot Floppy

Dale H. Cook linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:14:57 -0400

At 03:05 PM 8/15/2003 -0400, Tod Harter wrote:

I have no idea if you can actually boot FROM an USB floppy
drive, so if you are trying that I'd test with a known good boot floppy
first.

Tod -

This is the original external floppy drive that shipped with the Thinkpad
i1200. It boots fine from a DOS or Windows floppy, but not from the Linux
floppy. I don't have any Linux boot floppies other than the ones created by
this installation of the OS. The one creared during installation didn't
work, and the ones I've tried creating from the command line don't work.

What error message did you get, if any?

"Boot failed" which presumably comes from the BIOS.

I'm new at Linux and don't know what files should be on a boot floppy. Mine
has boot.msg, initrd.img, ldlinux.sys, syslinux.cfg and vmlinuz.

Dale H. Cook, Chief Engineer, WWWR Roanoke VA, WCQV Moneta VA, WKBA WZZI
Vinton VA, WKPA WLNI WZZU Lynchburg VA, WMNA / WMNA-FM Gretna VA
The Star City Pages - Antique Radios and Test Equipment, Radio Tools and
Computer Tales:
http://members.cox.net/dalehcook/starcity.shtml