Re [ltp] Problem with updatedb

Bernard DEBREIL linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:40:07 GMT

Thanks to everyone for the hints on updatedb calls.=20

Here is the contents of my slocate file:

[bd@localhost cron.daily]$ more slocate.cron
#!/bin/sh
renice +19 -p $$ >/dev/null 2>&1
/usr/bin/updatedb -f "nfs,smbfs,ncpfs,proc,devpts" -e=20
"/tmp,/var/tmp,/usr/tmp,/a
fs,/net"

I can't make much out of that, except that it calls on updatedb with the=
=20
option -f for the processes listed in between quotes. As for the renice =

process with the options that follow, I would have to spend a lot of tim=
e=20
reading the man pages so as to really understand what it does, which=20
priorities it changes on what processes, and what I could do to improve =

my system. I now think that it would be too hasardous to stop the proces=
s=20
of automatically calling 'updatedb', maybe just as much hasardous to try=
=20
modifying the slocate file.

Thanks anyway.

Le 8/21/03, =E0 4:21:31 PM h, James Mckenzie <jjmckenzie51@earthlink.net=
>=20
vous a =E9crit sur le sujet suivant Re [ltp] Problem with updatedb:

> Bernard:

> Take a look at the anacron and anacrontab man pages.  The file that
> calls updatedb is slocate and is in the /etc/cron.daily.  You can stop=

> this process, however read up on what the updatedb process does before=

> shutting down the process.

> What interested me most is the line before the call to updatedb that
> "renices" all of the existing processes before calling the updatedb=20
process.