[ltp] Re: Best ways of maximizing battery life on a T30 under Linux?

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:17:00 +1000

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Thomas Hood wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 06:20, Daniel Pittman wrote:
>> On Sat, 23 Aug 2003, Greg Macek wrote:
>> > In everyone's experience here, what are some things I can be doing
>> > to help maximize my battery life while running Linux on my T30
>> > notebook?
>
>> > Screen is set to not be at same brightness on battery.
>>
>> That is a good start.
>>
>> I have gotten a fairly good improvement in system life by installing
>> the 'speedfreq' package[1], which sets the SpeedStep state depending
>> on the CPU load.
>>
>> My machine is now in 'powersave' almost all the time, and my battery
>> life is up substantially.
>>
>> Other packages such as 'cpudyn' address the same issue.
>
> Have you ever tried apmiser (in the tpctl package)?

No, because the effort to get the tpctl kernel side stuff working with a
recent 2.5 kernel was too much (more than none, specifically) last time
I glanced at it.

The only thing that makes me consider getting it running is the hope
that it might let me reset my serial ports after an APM suspend/resume
sequence, but it's not gotten there yet.

          Daniel

--
Turning and turning in the widening gyre
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;