[ltp] Re: Best ways of maximizing battery life on a T30 under Linux?

Daniel Pittman linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Tue, 26 Aug 2003 12:00:43 +1000

On Mon, 25 Aug 2003, Greg Macek wrote:
> Ok, here's the problem I'm running into (SuSE 8.2):
>
> Starting speedfreqd daemon: /usr/local/sbin/speedfreqd: cannot find
> cpufreq under /sys
>         Need sysfs mounted on /sys, and kernel configured with cpufreq
> driver
>
> First off, I had to change the init.d scripts because it defaulted to
> RedHat-type standards. (/etc/rc.d/init.d vs. /etc/init.d). Then I
> received the error message above. SuSE seems to have the cpufreq stuff
> already as part of their kernel. Maybe it's not right? Also, I didn't
> have the /sys directory nor the sysfs filesystem mounted.
>
> Any ideas?

Ah. The 'speedfreq' package needs the 'sysfs' based support from the
2.5/2.6 series of kernels to work, I believe.

If you don't have a kernel in that series, you may be able to hack it to
talk to the procfs interface, but I never used that myself, so I don't
know.

        Daniel

--
I am constantly amazed when I talk to young people to learn how much
they know  about sex and how little about soap.