[ltp] about iptables ??

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 25 Aug 2003 15:29:59 -0400

iptables itself is a kernel facility and corresponding user space tools, so it
doesn't store data itself anywhere, you just run iptables commands to set up
the running state of your kernel.

Mandrake/Red Hat created an 'iptables service', which you can manage using
chkconfig --list iptables (any normal service manipulating interface, there
are dozens...). The service init service for iptables reads the file
/etc/sysconfig/iptables which must be in the format supplied by the command
iptables-save (you can generate it with 'service iptables save' I believe if
you're root).

So, to set up some firewall rules that always get set up when you boot

install the iptables RPM if its not already installed

chkconfig iptables on
(use iptables commands to set up your configuration)
service iptables save
(you may need to tweak the /etc/sysctl.conf)

Now when you boot your rules should automagically be restored.

So the short answer is /etc/sysconfig/iptables

Generally most of your systems configuration is going to be in /etc/sysconfig

--
Giant Electronic Brain
Internet/E-Commerce Consulting Services