[ltp] Li-Ion battery's time is up!

Tod Harter linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:40:24 -0400

My understanding is that unlike some other types of rechargeables the newer=
=20
Li-Ion and hydride batteries tend to just fail catastrophically. The batter=
y=20
in my A20p worked fine for 3 years, then one day it was just plain stone co=
ld=20
dead, though it still reports a 74% charge... I think 2-4 years depending o=
n=20
useage is about all you can get from a laptop battery.

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 02:02 am, Zoran's mailinglist account wrote:
> Le 11/08/2003 16:12, =AB Nate Bargmann =BB <n0nb@networksplus.net> a =E9c=
rit :
> > Hi All.
> >
> > Well, I didn't know much about Li-Ion batteries and now I seem to know a
> > bit more as mine appears to be totally dead after powering my 390e for
> > about two hours just last week.  After a few Google searches I now
> > understand there is a charge counter in the battery pack that
> > essentially kills the pack after a predetermined number of charge cycles
> > has been reached.  Is this true?  Or, does it sense the pack temperature
> > during the charge cycle?
>
> *** I never heard about the charge counter, but seeing the age of your
> battery I presume you bought it together with your laptop second hand,
> right?
>
> I had the same problem with an A22e. It could be the previous owner didn't
> take normal care of the battery. No initial long charge before using it f=
or
> the first time, draining the battery, etc, etc...
>
> I understood the Li-Ion's shouldn't be drained 100% before charging as th=
ey
> don't have a memory and it kill's these batteries prematurely. Also,
> Li-Ion's seem to have a life cycle of 4 to 5 years after which they go
> dead. This could also be your issue.
>
> Anyway, what ever you do, buy a new one, it's worth the money.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Zoran.
>
> Windows software isn't released, it's allowed to escape.

=2D-=20
Tod Harter
Giant Electronic Brain
http://www.giantelectronicbrain.com