[ltp] PCMCIA on 560Z

Grant Taylor linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Thu, 28 Aug 2003 20:16:16 -0400

I'm attempting to install Debian on a 560Z, and I have been unable to
get the PCMCIA to work.  All permutations that I have tried have
resulted in:

 - cardmgr starts and logs that it is watching 2 slots

 - neither inserting my network card, nor having it present at boot,
   results in cardmgr noticing anything

 - neither the ne nor pcnet_cs drivers will load

My network card is know to work; it has operated fine in my other
laptop (a Toshiba Libretto) for years.  It's a generic NE2000 thing,
not cardbus.

Various /proc files are present for the slots; they're definetely
found by the i82564 driver.

Attempts to load the cs driver in polling mode or with the "wakeup"
option have made no difference.

I have tried using the potato and woody boot floppies, including both
2.2 and 2.4 kernel variants.  At least two other users have web pages
reporting no particular trouble installing potato from floppy like
this.

My options under boot-floppies are somewhat limited; the environment
contains cardmgr but almost none of it's peripheral data files.  One
is expected to load the proper driver by hand after it configures and
powers up the slot, but I find no evidence that it is doing so, there
are never any log messages after cardmgr finishes initializing.

It is unclear if the old boot-floppies can be made to work with a
newer 2.4 kernel and its pcmcia-cs-free hotplugish PCMCIA support.  I
will be trying that tonight.

Is there some thinkpadism whereby the pcmcia slots are left "off" at
boot to save power?  Perhaps something the PS2 utility can adjust?

--
Grant Taylor - gtaylor<at>picante.com - http://www.picante.com/~gtaylor/
   Linux Printing Website and HOWTO:  http://www.linuxprinting.org/