[ltp] dhcp problem

Pekka Pessi linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 01 Dec 2003 22:26:08 +0200

"André Wyrwa" <a.wyrwa@gmx.de> writes:
>the search entry is correct now, since i included the supersede entry in
>the config file above. However, the server entries are still crap and i
>still don't know where they come from.

	From your DHCP server?

your dhclient.conf:
>interface "eth0" {
>send host-name "froschkoenig";
>prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1, 192.168.1.10;

	Here you specify 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.10 as your DNS servers.

>supersede domain-name "maerchenwald";
>request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
>        domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name;
>require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;
>}

	You ask for domain-name and domain-name-servers there. If that
	is not what you want, don't do it. Replace your configuration
	with something like this:

interface "eth0" {
send host-name "froschkoenig";
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
        host-name;
require subnet-mask;
}

	You can also have a peek on your bootp traffic with tcpdump:

# tcpdump -v -v -s 1500 -i eth0 port bootpc

	...but I'm afraid that at least my WLAN card did not work with
	tcpdump.

						Pekka