[ltp] Cisco 350 MiniPCI firmware problem and solution

Karl Klashinsky linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 01 Dec 2003 16:33:30 -0800

For the record... although I work for Cisco, I have absolutely nothing
to do with the aironet/wireless side of our business.  And no, I don't
know anyone in the wireless group that I could tap to try to get
anything done.  FWIW, there are lots of linux-users here in Cisco that
share your frustration over Cisco's lackluster efforts WRT linux in
general, and the aironet wireless drivers in particular.

Having said that...

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 12:52, Ivarsson, Torbjorn (T) wrote:

> After downloading the files from Cisco, I "downgraded" my
> firmware to 5.00.03. Fine. The problem was that when I then
> rebooted back to Windows the firmware was "magically"
> upgraded to 5.02.19... Frustrated I called the friendly
> tech support (an engineer called back very quick) and
> we tried to fix the problem.

According to one of our linux-heads here in Cisco, buried deep somewhere
within the "ACU Client Utilities" application that is part of the
software that is installed on Windows, in one of the preferences or
properties dialog, there is a checkbox you can turn off, and that will
disable the "auto-update-firmware" thingee.

Note, I don't actually have windows on my laptop, so I can't look this
up/confirm it for you.

Your workaround is probably just as effective, except that the machine
probably spends a few cycles during win boot, trying to find the .img
file that you've renamed.

--
klash        |       |      Children are the living messages we send
            .|.     .|.     to a time we will not see.