[ltp] RE: Noisy T41p and T40p??

Thomas de Grenier de Latour linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:47:21 +0100

On Wed, 3 Dec 2003 14:11:48 +0100
"Antoine Dechaume" <dechaume@imft.fr> wrote:

> Those weird interference noises seem to me to be permanent and related
> to display and/or mouse activity, both on linux and XP, but they are
> clearly amplified under linux when using xscreensaver.

Same here, on a T40 (the one with Radeon Mobility 7500). What I've
observed is that there is always a low interference noise when there is
some graphical activity (moving a window, scrolling text, etc.), even
without mouse activity (for instance when some compilation commands
scroll in an xterm). But this one is low. A more disturbing noise is
also produced by glxgear (the worst being if I minimize the window,
because framerate increases a lot, and so does the pitch tone). And I
also have from time to time a very high pitch noise when I have an
external USB2 disk connected, which really hurts my hears.

I wonder if returning the computer to IBM would change something, I
can't believe that all T40 have this issue (do they?). Maybe changing
the motherboard, or something like this, would solve it...

--
TGL.