[ltp] Slightly OT - 600E Max Hard Drive Size

wes schreiner linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Sat, 06 Dec 2003 18:42:55 -0600

James McKenzie wrote:

> Rolf:
>
> I don't know.  I think the drive is supported by the Thinkpad's BIOS
> routines as I installed no new drivers than what came with Red Hat 8,
> Red Hat 9 and Fedora.
>
> James McKenzie
> Rolf G. Schroeder wrote:
>
>> Hi James,
>> are the correct drivers part of the Suse package?
>> Regards Rolf
>> Am Samstag, 6. Dezember 2003 22:14 schrieb James McKenzie:
>>
>>> Rob:
>>>
>>> Yep.  Do it everyday.  Took the original drive out of my A22p and
>>> use it
>>> in a 600E.  Had to load up the correct drivers.
>>>
>>> James McKenzie

That's because there are no different drivers for different internal IDE
hard drives for any modern TP that I know of.  Yes, your kernel should
have either the compiled-in option or an available module for youe IDE
controller, PIIX4 in the case of a 600E, but nothing changes when you
change hard drives.  The BIOS is happy with whatever working drive you
have plugged in.

wes