[ltp] T40 LBA

Kurt Hansen linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:58:37 -0500

Jordan Benjamin wrote:

> I was just wondering, has anyone had problems or success with placing a
> boot partition past the first 1024 cylinders on a T40? I've tried this
> with grub, and it never seems to work (but it would be nice not to have
> to *move* the windows partition so the linux boot partition is before it).

I have no problems with the Linux /boot partition above 1024 running
Fedora on my T41. While installing Fedora, I chose the "Force LBA32"
during the Boot Loader configuration. Documentation seemed to suggest
you needed this on for >1024 configuration. The default install leaves
it off. for more info, here's the doc page I used to decide:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/install-guide/s1-x86-bootloader.html#X86-BOOTLOADER-ADV

Seems to me you should be able to change GRUB after install to get it to
work.

All I know is that the install went VERY smoothly and Fedora is running
beautifully on my T41.

I can thank this list and various folks' T40 and T41 webpages for having
it go so well!

Take care,

Kurt Hansen
khansen@charityweb.net