[ltp] Thinkpad R40 2722: various CPUFREQ troubles

Sebastian Kapfer linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:51:44 +0100

--=-MfJ8rLQdYzit5HcrDNMa

Am Do, den 11.12.2003 schrieb Alexander Gran um 14:42:
>=20
> > * I Can't clock the machine at 1500 MHz when disconnected from external
> > power. I know IBM wants to conserve battery power here. BUT I DON'T
> > CARE. A useless (slow) system is worse than one running two hours less.
> > Does this depend on BIOS settings? I think I tried everything possible,
> > but never got past 600 MHz.
>=20
> Which kernel do you use?

2.6-test9 from Debian source, own config.

> With a recent one, it should be no problem to get it to 1500Mzh. Mine doe=
s.

APM/ACPI? Does it run at 1500 when you turn it on without external
power?

> > * Strange message in the syslog (appears once, some minutes after
> >
> > booting):
> > | Losing too many ticks!
> > | TSC cannot be used as a timesource. (Are you running with SpeedStep?)
> > | Falling back to a sane timesource.
>=20
> This seems to be related to your 2. problem.

Definitely.

> > The answer to that question is probably "yes". The fallback timesource
> > obviously isn't more sane either, because it's still wrong :-(
>=20
> Have you configured something strange in the kernel regarding rtc?

I don't think so.

sk@gammaray(~)* zcat /proc/config.gz | grep -Ei
'(rtc|hpet|tsc|freq|apic|acpi)'
# CONFIG_M586TSC is not set
CONFIG_X86_GOOD_APIC=3Dy
CONFIG_HPET_TIMER=3Dy
# CONFIG_HPET_EMULATE_RTC is not set
# CONFIG_X86_UP_APIC is not set
CONFIG_X86_TSC=3Dy
# Power management options (ACPI, APM)
# ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface) Support
CONFIG_ACPI=3Dy

(note: kernel parameters: acpi=3Doff)

CONFIG_ACPI_BOOT=3Dy
CONFIG_ACPI_INTERPRETER=3Dy
# CONFIG_ACPI_SLEEP is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_AC=3Dm
CONFIG_ACPI_BATTERY=3Dm
CONFIG_ACPI_BUTTON=3Dm
CONFIG_ACPI_FAN=3Dm
CONFIG_ACPI_PROCESSOR=3Dm
CONFIG_ACPI_THERMAL=3Dm
CONFIG_ACPI_ASUS=3Dm
CONFIG_ACPI_TOSHIBA=3Dm
# CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG is not set
CONFIG_ACPI_BUS=3Dy
CONFIG_ACPI_EC=3Dy
CONFIG_ACPI_POWER=3Dy
CONFIG_ACPI_PCI=3Dy
CONFIG_ACPI_SYSTEM=3Dy
CONFIG_ACPI_RELAXED_AML=3Dy
CONFIG_APM_RTC_IS_GMT=3Dy
# CPU Frequency scaling
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ=3Dy
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_PROC_INTF=3Dy
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_PERFORMANCE=3Dy
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_PERFORMANCE=3Dy
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_POWERSAVE=3Dy
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_GOV_USERSPACE=3Dy
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_24_API=3Dy
CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_TABLE=3Dy
# CPUFreq processor drivers
CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ=3Dm
# CONFIG_X86_ACPI_CPUFREQ_PROC_INTF is not set
# Wireless 802.11 Frequency Hopping cards support
# CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_ACPI is not set
CONFIG_RTC=3Dm
CONFIG_GEN_RTC=3Dm
CONFIG_GEN_RTC_X=3Dy
CONFIG_SND_RTCTIMER=3Dm

Does the RTC stuff have anything to do with system time?

> > Pentium M CPU, Linux 2.6-test9 kernel with the CPUFREQ stuff, APM mode,
> > acpi=3Doff (you know, the battery).
>=20
> Ahh. perhaps post the configuration somewhere.

Is it OK to post it as an attachment to this list? My webspace (actually
not mine but a friend's) is down at the moment.

> > BIOS settings: CPU frequency is set to "fixed max". (But still the CPU
> > runs at 600 instead of 1500.)
>=20
> This may be due to cpufreq which controls the spped.

When I wrote 600 MHz, I meant CPUFREQ's maximum freq. CPUFREQ offers
frequencies between 75 (?!) and 600 MHz. With power chord (and a
reboot), it goes up to 1500 MHz.

> > Enabling or disabling SpeedStep in the BIOS doesn't make any difference
> > whatsoever. CPUFREQ happily changes frequency in both modes, the system
> > time is slow in both.
>=20
> Yes. you need to change the speed via cpufreq. consider perhaps cpufreqd

I do use a cpufreqd clone (powernowd), although I'm not totally happy
with it. Sometimes, it reduces the CPU clock to 75 MHz when the system
is under heavy load. ;-) Anyway, I don't think powernowd is the root of
my problems. Changing freq manually (via the sysfs interface) works
fine.

--=20
Best Regards,  | Hi! I'm a .signature virus. Copy me into
 Sebastian     | your ~/.signature to help me spread!

--=-MfJ8rLQdYzit5HcrDNMa

--=-MfJ8rLQdYzit5HcrDNMa--