[ltp] Got IRDA working on a 600X

Steven Haigh linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 03:00:51 +1100

After all the hassles of kernel panics, and nothing working, I came
across one site that answered my prayers.

It seems that for the 600X, if you have "Quick Boot" enabled in
Easy-Setup (The BIOS), then the PnP Bios screws up the IRDA port when
booting into modern 2.4.10+ kernels. You can tell this because after you
boot, run 'dmesg | grep tty'. If you only see an entry for ttyS0, then
you will be affected by this problem.

If you see ttyS0 and ttyS1, then you should be ok. I am now successfully
using multisync to synchronise my address book and calender in Evolution
1.4.5 with my Siemens S55 mobile over IRDA.

All in all, after all the hassles (about 2 weeks worth!), I'm happy to
say that it finally works :D

--
Signed,
Steven Haigh

You can lead a fool to wisdom but you can't make him think.
We have enough youth. What we need is a fountain of smart.
I am root. If you see me laughing, you better have a backup.Default