[ltp] Cisco Aironet 350 Mini PCI on an R40 running SuSE 9

Mike Evans linux-thinkpad@linux-thinkpad.org
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 08:23:53 -0700

Mike Evans wrote:

> Aha!  Success!  Thanks for the tip everyone.
>
> Mike Evans wrote:

I guess I spoke too soon.  I was testing at work, where we don't have an
access point.  I was delighted to see my wireless' LED's light up.

Upon getting home, I booted back into SuSE, only to discover that for
some reason the driver wouldn't load with 'modprobe airo_mpi'... I un
tar'ed it again and re-compiled and installed it and got the LED to
light up again.

I used 'iwconfig' to manually set all of my wlan settings.  iwconfig
showed that the card had found my router and was reporting that I had
around 55/100 signal strength.  But, still no internet connection.

As I thought the GUI would be easier, I brought up Cisco's acu utility
and made a few changes.  Suddenly, the signal strength dropped, and
subsequent tries to reconfigure with acu failed.

My next step was to use ifconfig (and later I manually created an
itcfg-eth1 in /etc/sysconfig/network) to try to get things working.  It
worked pretty well, but every time I run iwconfig, it shows the (wrong)
settings I made in 'acu'.

Any ideas on how to fix this without (yet) another fresh install?

Anyone care to walk me through setting up a wireless connection
step-by-step?

Thanks a bunch.